- First identify your personal purpose for being a professional speaker. Many people have a belief that speakers make tons and tons of money from a 45-minute talk. Well… unless you are a big name celebrity, that is so not the case. Most times, there may either be a small honorarium or at the least a chance to sell products through the “back of the room” sales after your talk. No matter the case, you MUST have a strong desire to share your expertise, your story and your message. If that is your driving factor… proceed to Step 2.
- Create your talks clearly and strategically. What is it you want to share? Make sure the information you have to share is something that is going to benefit your audience. Come up with some eye-catching titles and some content-based bullet points. Search the Internet to see what topics other speakers are covering and what topics are being booked at events. Plus be unique!
- Start building a website. YES, even before you have any experience as a speaker get that website created. No meeting planner will take you seriously if you do not have a website. Things to include (over time as you gain experience): Your bio, photo, speech topics, testimonials, list of places you have spoken, video sample, media you have done, products, services, articles you have written, contact information for you, your assistant or your manager, and anything else you feel would help a meeting planner get to know you.
- Promote yourself as a speaker: on social media, in your networking groups, to your friends, to your business associates, to everyone you meet. The best speaking engagements come from referrals who let people know about you!
- Contact meeting planners. If you have very little speaking experience, you can start with some local service clubs (i.e. Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions Club, etc) as well as MeetUp (www.meetup.com) groups. Then build from there! If you need help finding leads, I have an invaluable special report called “Find All the Leads You Need” available HERE.
If this is one of your goals, follow these steps, don’t hold your voice back and GO FOR IT in 2015!
Jennifer Ellis is the Owner of Life Enlightenment. She is available to help anyone with the desire to be a speaker through half-hour consulting / training sessions. If this is something you are being called to do; let’s start getting you out there! Contact